A new adventure in storytelling from
Quill & Crow...
SUBMISSIONS PERIOD: Now - Sep 13th
TENATIVE PUBLICATION: Dec 2022
Quill & Crow Publishing House is opening submissions for our third anthology for 2022, Bleak Midwinter: An Anthology of Gothic Horror.
For this collection, we are looking for short stories (5,000 - 8,000 words) of winter horror. We are looking for stories that encompass the darkness of the season and literary themes over Christmas/Krampus gore. Think of stories like The Shining or even Dickens's A Christmas Carol more than slasher-style Black Christmas.
Things we are looking for:
themes of death/darkness
modern settings considered ONLY if they maintain a Gothic feel
Things we are not looking for:
extreme horror/extreme erotica
overtly modern adaptations
Please note: Submissions that do not follow requirements will not be considered.
1. We are accepting original works only. You must own the copyright to your submission.
2. Submissions period is from Dec 20th - Sept 13th, 2022. Please submit all stories to email@example.com with the subject line: Bleak Midwinter / Your Title / Genre. Emails sent to other emails will not be considered.
2. All submissions must be in English and follow standard MLA formatting (double spaced, 12-point Times New Roman font). Work must be polished and edited (to the best of your ability). Please submit as a .docx file and include your name, title, and word count on the front page.
3. Story length is 5,000 to 8,000 words. Submissions below 5,000 words and above 8,000 words will not be considered.
4. Accepted authors will receive compensation per contract agreement (US: $40 + author copy/non-US: $45 + ebook author copy).
5. We do accept multiple submissions and we do accept reprints if author has maintained their rights to do so.
6. We will only receive one submission per author. Please do not contact any Quill & Crow employees on their social media accounts with submissions questions.