An Unsettling New Initiative from Quill & Crow...
Welcome to our first flash fiction contest! We are looking for flash fiction or poetry (250 words or less) of horror centered on or including toys/dolls. We are looking for stories that encompass the unsettling vibes of abandoned places, forgotten toys, and haunted spaces. Give us possessions, hauntings, even tales of wicked fiends neatly packaged into a few fear invoking words. We want to be left with a sense of terror that lingers well after finishing the story.*
Submissions run from September 16th and will close October 14th. The winner will be announced on October 19th.
*Please do not send us stories of graphic erotica, bestiality, or any kind of SA.
FIRST: Your piece featured in The Crow's Quill Magazine, November Issue (Toy Box) and in our newsletter, plus your pick of two paperback anthologies/books from Quill & Crow*
SECOND: Your piece included in our newsletter and your choice of one paperback book/anthology from Quill & Crow*
THIRD: Your piece included in our newsletter
*Our international friends are welcome to participate, but will receive e-book copies instead of physical copies of our books. Thank you for understanding.
1. We are accepting original works only. You must own the copyright to your submission. No reprints.
2. Submissions period is from Sept 16th - Oct 14th, 2022. Please submit all stories to
email@example.com with the subject line: Tales of Toys & Terror / Your Title / Genre. Emails sent to other email addresses will not be considered.
2. All submissions must be in English and follow standard MLA formatting (double spaced, 12-point Times New Roman font). Work must be polished and edited (to the best of your ability). Please submit as a .docx file and include your name, title, and word count on the front page.
3. Story length is 250 or less. Submissions above 300 words will not be considered. If you have a longer story, consider submitting directly to The Crow's Quill before Oct 10th.
4. We will only receive one submission per author. Please do not contact any Quill & Crow employees on their social media accounts with submissions questions.